Project

General

Profile

Bug #1630

[linux-libre] [linux-libre-lts]: not shutting down

karl - over 2 years ago - . Updated about 2 years ago.

Status:
open
Priority:
bug
Assignee:
% Done:

0%


Description

Hey guys, I've been having trouble with parabola OpenRC, I tried the 2.2.1 CLI, 2.2.2 LXDE, and the "5" OpenRC edition, all of them hang on shutdown. I don't know why.
I'm using BTRFS format on a Dell Inspiron Mini 10v (1011) model PP19S, I've installed via pacstrap AND via install.sh but both give me the same results.
my email is , I'm kind of new to this format so I might have trouble navigating my way around here, so if I don't reply, sending me an email would be awesome.
I've tried the following commands: sudo poweroff, sudo shutdown -h now, sudo openrc-shutdown --halt as well as --reboot & --kexec, sudo reboot, sudo shutdown now, sudo init 6, and a few other ones I might have missed. I'm just not sure why it won't shut down.... is anyone else having this problem? Is it only me?

I don't know what logs are relevant to this issue, so please let me know & I will get you whatever logs you might need. thank you for your time.


Related issues

Related to Packages - Bug #1685: [linux-libre-lts]: Computer does not shut downfixed

Actions

History

#1

Updated by ovruni over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from open to info needed

poweroff works for me in openrc

#2

Updated by karl over 2 years ago

ovruni wrote:

poweroff works for me in openrc

Well it definitely doesn't work for me... when did you install it? In the last 2 days?? Because I just can't manage to get it to shutdown....... I don't understand why, other Linux distros- Void Linux, BSD, Debian derivatives, Fedora/Redhat derivatives, Arch, all work... I can't imagine why it would be doing this..
I use Artix Linux on all of my x86_64 PC's, they don't do i686 unfortunately... also, I can install openrc-arch and that shuts down no problem.

#3

Updated by karl over 2 years ago

ovruni wrote:

poweroff works for me in openrc

umm... So I installed the kernel from Archlinux32.... AND NOW IT SHUTS DOWN!!! So what gives?! There must be some kind of firmware in the kernel that is missing for my specific computer!

#4

Updated by bill-auger over 2 years ago

as an update IIRC karl also says there is no such problem with linux-libre-lts 4.9

#5

Updated by ovruni over 2 years ago

  • Subject changed from OpenRC not shutting down to linux-libre not shutting down
#6

Updated by karl over 2 years ago

Also, it wouldn't shutdown on SystemD either. I tried it.

linux-libre-lts 4.14 also doesn't work
linux-libre 4.15 doesn't work
linux-libre 4.9 works
linux-libre-lts 4.9 works

I might give 4.10 & 4.11 kernels a try to see what happens.

#7

Updated by bill-auger over 2 years ago

advice from #linux-libre:

<lxo> it's extremely unlikely to be a -libre change that causes this.  odds are it's some config error in the parabola builds

<lxo> (assuming the person is even comparing oranges to oranges, i.e., same kernel versions, same major config options)

<lxo> at a time of active development of spectre mitigations (retpolines), even toolchain issues might be relevant

<lxo> nothing in the report suggests that the arch kernel that was tested has the same version or config of any of the parabola kernels

<lxo> also, the report doesn't mention installing any blobs that the arch kernel would have used to get different behavior from a corresponding -libre kernel.  so it's a very safe bet that the problem is not introduced by the deblobbing scripts

#8

Updated by oaken-source over 2 years ago

quoted from the gentoo wiki:

The standard sysvinit tools, i.e. shutdown and reboot, will not function while openrc-init is running. Instead the openrc-shutdown command must be used to shutdown the system.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC

could you try that first and see if it works?

#9

Updated by bill-auger over 2 years ago

the parabola wiki also says that - i assumed karl tried the openrc-shutdown command - but karl also says the same problem exists using systemd

https://wiki.parabola.nu/OpenRC#The_system_can.27t_shutdown_correctly

#10

Updated by bill-auger over 2 years ago

  • Related to Bug #1685: [linux-libre-lts]: Computer does not shut down added
#11

Updated by bill-auger over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from info needed to open
  • Subject changed from linux-libre not shutting down to [linux-libre]: not shutting down
#12

Updated by bill-auger over 2 years ago

  • Assignee set to Megver83
#13

Updated by Megver83 over 2 years ago

Try using runit instead of openrc-init. Install it like this:

pacman -S runit

It will ask you to remove openrc-init. Accept. It will keep OpenRC (now as a service manager only) and it's going to work like OpenRC + Sysvinit used to, but using runit as PID 1 instead of sysv's /sbin/init or /sbin/openrc-init

And btw, there's linux-libre-lts-xtreme at [kernels] which is using the latest 4.9.x. You could try it first.

#14

Updated by Megver83 over 2 years ago

  • Subject changed from [linux-libre]: not shutting down to [linux-libre] [linux-libre-lts]: not shutting down

I'll close #1685 and continue the issue here since it's the same one but with lts kernels

#15

Updated by nona about 2 years ago

Megver83 wrote:

I'll close #1685 and continue the issue here since it's the same one but with lts kernels

I downgraded to an old backup that I found on an external drive. If you need testing, let me know.

https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1819#note-18

#16

Updated by Megver83 about 2 years ago

nona wrote:

Megver83 wrote:

I'll close #1685 and continue the issue here since it's the same one but with lts kernels

I downgraded to an old backup that I found on an external drive. If you need testing, let me know.

https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1819#note-18

could you try with linux-libre-lts-xtreme? it's on 4.9.x series

#17

Updated by nona about 2 years ago

could you try with linux-libre-lts-xtreme? it's on 4.9.x series

Does not ask for LUKS password and never boots after showing this in the GRUB interface:
Loading initial ram disk (image?).

I installed in this way:

1. Add

[kernels]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
to /etc/pacman.conf

2. Update database and install with pacman

sudo pacman -Sy linux-libre-xtreme

3. Update GRUB configuration

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

4. Restart

Extra info:

pacman -Qs linux-libre-xtreme
local/linux-libre-xtreme 4.17.2_gnu-1

#18

Updated by Megver83 about 2 years ago

nona wrote:

could you try with linux-libre-lts-xtreme? it's on 4.9.x series

Does not ask for LUKS password and never boots after showing this in the GRUB interface:
Loading initial ram disk (image?).

I installed in this way:

1. Add [...]

2. Update database and install with pacman [...]

3. Update GRUB configuration [...]

4. Restart

Extra info:
[...]

maybe if you read carefully you would do what I asked. I said linux-libre-lts-xtreme NOT linux-libre-xtreme

just to clarify ...

#19

Updated by nona about 2 years ago

Megver83 wrote:

I said linux-libre-lts-xtreme NOT linux-libre-xtreme

just to clarify ...

Ooops! I will try later tonight or on Sunday.

#20

Updated by nona about 2 years ago

Megver83 wrote:

nona wrote:

could you try with linux-libre-lts-xtreme? it's on 4.9.x series

Does not ask for LUKS password and never boots after showing this in the GRUB interface:
Loading initial ram disk (image?).

I installed in this way:

1. Add [...]

2. Update database and install with pacman [...]

3. Update GRUB configuration [...]

4. Restart

Extra info:
[...]

maybe if you read carefully you would do what I asked. I said linux-libre-lts-xtreme NOT linux-libre-xtreme

just to clarify ...

nona wrote:

Megver83 wrote:

I said linux-libre-lts-xtreme NOT linux-libre-xtreme

just to clarify ...

Ooops! I will try later tonight or on Sunday.

I did. What information do you need?

#21

Updated by Megver83 about 2 years ago

nona wrote:

Megver83 wrote:

nona wrote:

could you try with linux-libre-lts-xtreme? it's on 4.9.x series

Does not ask for LUKS password and never boots after showing this in the GRUB interface:
Loading initial ram disk (image?).

I installed in this way:

1. Add [...]

2. Update database and install with pacman [...]

3. Update GRUB configuration [...]

4. Restart

Extra info:
[...]

maybe if you read carefully you would do what I asked. I said linux-libre-lts-xtreme NOT linux-libre-xtreme

just to clarify ...

nona wrote:

Megver83 wrote:

I said linux-libre-lts-xtreme NOT linux-libre-xtreme

just to clarify ...

Ooops! I will try later tonight or on Sunday.

I did. What information do you need?

To know if it works without any issues, of course

#22

Updated by nona about 2 years ago

Megver83 wrote:

Megver83 wrote:

I said linux-libre-lts-xtreme NOT linux-libre-xtreme

just to clarify ...

Ooops! I will try later tonight or on Sunday.

I did. What information do you need?

To know if it works without any issues, of course

Oh! I may not have been clear here: https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1685#note-9

If I remove it from mkinitcpio.conf (MODULES) and run pacman -Rnucs xf86-video-amdgpu, I can boot and shutdown

This also applies with linux-libre-ltx-xtreme, linux-libre, linux-libre-lts, not for linux-libre-xtreme (for some reason). Thanks!

Also available in: Atom PDF