Project

General

Profile

Bug #2486

Upgrade to systemd 243 breaks dbus (and in turn other things)

arshin - about 1 month ago - . Updated 4 days ago.

Status:
not-a-bug
Priority:
bug
Assignee:
% Done:

0%


Description

During upgrade I got an error message. See attached file for both description of the problem and pacman's log. I can't post it here because Redmine complains about too many non-dictionary words.


Files

pacman.log (20.9 KB) pacman.log arshin, 2019-09-13 09:46 AM

History

#1

Updated by bill-auger about 1 month ago

  • Assignee set to ovruni
#2

Updated by arshin 23 days ago

Same issue after upgrading to systemd-* 243.51.

Immediately after upgrade:

[root@gnulinux etc]# find / -name 'dbus.service'
/etc/systemd/system/dbus.service
/sys/fs/cgroup/memory/system.slice/dbus.service
/sys/fs/cgroup/devices/system.slice/dbus.service
/sys/fs/cgroup/pids/system.slice/dbus.service
/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/dbus.service
/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/system.slice/dbus.service
/sys/fs/cgroup/unified/user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/dbus.service
/sys/fs/cgroup/unified/system.slice/dbus.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/dbus.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dbus.service
/usr/lib/systemd/user/dbus.service
/home/user/backup_personal/etckeeper.git/systemd/system/dbus.service

[root@gnulinux etc]# systemctl status dbus.service 
● dbus.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: Unit dbus.service not found.)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2019-09-28 18:52:25 MSK; 1 day 23h ago
 Main PID: 788 (dbus-daemon)
   CGroup: /system.slice/dbus.service
           └─788 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only

Sep 30 18:28:06 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Reloaded configuration
Sep 30 18:28:06 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Reloaded configuration
Sep 30 18:28:06 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Reloaded configuration
Sep 30 18:28:06 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Reloaded configuration
Sep 30 18:30:37 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service' req>
Sep 30 18:30:37 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
Sep 30 18:31:28 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service' req>
Sep 30 18:31:28 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
Sep 30 18:48:31 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service' req>
Sep 30 18:48:31 gnulinux dbus-daemon[788]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
#3

Updated by bill-auger 22 days ago

i did not commented initially because i could not reproduce the problem with the systemd version that was current at the time (243.0-1.par1) - i also upgraded yesterday to 243.51-1.par1 and i still have no trouble with it

though the "not-found" message is curious, your status is "active (running)" with multiple occurrences of "Successfully activated service" in the logs

the only significant differences i see on my system is that the "Loaded:" line correctly shows "loaded /usr/lib/systemd/system/dbus.service"; and i see a 'Process:' entry like so:

  Process: 851597 ExecReload=/usr/bin/dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call
  --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus / org.freedesktop.DBus.ReloadConfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

then in the logs, after "[system] Reloaded configuration", i see: "systemd[ 1 ]: Reloading D-Bus System Message Bus."; which is missing in your log

try grepping your pacman log - you should see entries like so:

$ grep -E 'running .*(systemd|dbus).*\.hook' /var/log/pacman.log

[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '20-systemd-sysusers.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-catalog.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-daemon-reload.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-hwdb.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-sysctl.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-tmpfiles.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-udev-reload.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:09] [ALPM] running '30-systemd-update.hook'...
[2019-09-28 21:10] [ALPM] running 'dbus-reload.hook'...

#4

Updated by arshin 5 days ago

Sorry for the delay - missed your reply Bill.
After fiddling a lot with it I found a note in Arch Wiki that dbus service doesn't need to be manually enabled. Looks like it was enabled (for some reason) on my system, so I issued systemctl disable dbus.service as root. It gave me some warnings but after that things started to work normally (both before and after reboot). Go figure.

#5

Updated by bill-auger 4 days ago

  • Status changed from unconfirmed to not-a-bug

ok i guess it was just a fluke then - glad you found a solution

Also available in: Atom PDF