[iceweasel-l10n-es-ar][iceweasel-l10n-pl]: Iceweasel doesn't start with some language packs
Following the report from the bug report Bug #2561: [iceweasel] sudden shutdown of Iceweasel 70.0.1, I must clarify the following.
After try one more time to install the
iceweasel-l10n-es-ar package, I got the error reported on the bug report Bug #2561: [iceweasel] sudden shutdown of Iceweasel 70.0.1. Also, I've installed the
iceweasel-l10n-es-mx package and both packages didn't change the language of Iceweasel interface. Meanwhile, in Icedove and GNU IceCat, the language packs are working flawlessly fine.
Updated by eliotime3000 7 months ago
I tried to change manually the language of Iceweasel using the
iceweasel-l10n-es-es language pack, and I got the reported bug #2561 again. Any other add-on that I have installed didn't have any issue with the browser. Grisslyuser notified about this bug specificly on the Iceweasel 70.0 update and for now I noticed that this error message quoted triggers when I try to apply a language pack manually on the browser.
Updated by eliotime3000 6 months ago
Iceweasel updated to the version 72.0.1. Sadly, when I've installed the
iceweasel-l10n-es-ar package, this error avoid to run the browser:
1579569700678 Marionette FATAL Error de análisis XML: entidad indefinida Ubicación: chrome://browser/content/browser.xhtml Línea 1930, columna 9: <toolbaritem id="appMenu-fxa-status" --------^
As always, uninstalling the language pack, the browser runs flawlessly. Zero issues with extensions (AdSkip, uBlock Origin, etc.).
Updated by bill-auger 3 months ago
thats too bad - i was hoping this bug would fix itself after a few new releases of the language-packs - the bug is probably in the iceweasel patches or branding
the esperanto language still works as expected - presumably it has not had the new problematic translation added yet
a quick and dirty fix maybe to delete the translations for that 'appMenu-fxa-status' element - you could try that as a work-around
Hi everyone, I suppose this is the same problem as for Icedove in #2668. Some versions ago, an entity called
brandProductName was introduced to the branding file
brand.dtd for Firefox and Thunderbird. See, for example, the file
browser/branding/official/locales/en-US/brand.dtd in the Firefox sources. If this is used somewhere, but not defined in the branding file, one gets mysterious weird errors.
In the corresponding en-US file https://git.parabola.nu/packages/iceweasel.git/tree/src/branding/locales/en-US/brand.dtd for Iceweasel, this is included.
However, the branding file https://git.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/tree/libre/iceweasel-l10n/brand.dtd for the language packs is missing the line. So probably this is gonna be fixed by adding the line
<!ENTITY brandProductName "Iceweasel">
to this file.
Updated by bill-auger 3 months ago
regarding the proposed fix for this issue: that would certainly be an easier fix if it worked - i dont think the problem is related to locales generally though; because some of the languages do not have this problem - i suspect that this is related to a new GUI element, and that the languages which are still working have not added a translation for that element yet
I think the problem is caused by exactly this thing. I got the same error yesterday, using the German language pack, when creating a new profile (my old profile worked flawlessly). After I edited
brand.dtd in the language pack and added a
brandProductName, it started working (I had to create another new profile though).
Looking into the source code, we can trace back where the error comes from: The line
from the error message is included into
browser/components/customizableui/content/panelUI.inc.xhtml, see https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/33d2485721c6ffd20a952d698754041a14be11b3/browser/components/customizableui/content/panelUI.inc.xhtml in line 222. In line 224, we see that the toolbar uses the label
<toolbaritem id="appMenu-fxa-status" class="sync-ui-item" defaultlabel="&fxa.menu.signin.label;" flex="1">
This is in turn defined in
browser.dtd, see https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/33d2485721c6ffd20a952d698754041a14be11b3/browser/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/browser.dtd in line 73:
<!ENTITY fxa.menu.signin.label "Sign in to &brandProductName;">
brandProductNameis not set, we get the above error.