u-boot: improve .install and support different boot medias
Updated by GNUtoo about 1 year ago
- Subject changed from u-boot: improve install and support different uses cases to u-boot: improve .install and support different boot medias
- Make it more generic: share the main part of the code.
- Check for the machine name with the device tree and ask for confirmation. Ff the machine is not the same but don't prevent users from installing this bootloader on a totally different machine as the installation could be done in a chroot or in other ways that packagers cannot predict.
- Handle more than one boot device (microSD, eMMC, SATA, USB/UART, etc)
- Package tools for booting from USB, and document how to do it.
- Point to the device documentation if there is some
- GuiX has u-boot packages
- Debian has u-boot pacakges
- Arch Linux ARM may or may not have u-boot packages
In the case of GRUB, users manually run grub-install. Though I'm unsure how GRUB is supposed to be updated. It would be interesting to look into it too (find if there is a message when GRUB is upgraded, look if it's possible to auto-detect it, etc).
edit1: fix bullet points
edit2: Add SATA, UART, USB boot specificities