We need more mirrors
I am not sure if this is the right project to report this issue, but there are not enough parabola GNU/Linux-libre mirrors out there. I would suggest that we contact a few institutions which mirror common linux distros (e.g arch) and ask them if they could mirror our distro too. Further more, I would ask the FSF if they could mirror parabola too since they already mirror other free linux distros such as Dragora(http://mirror.fsf.org/dragora-images).
Updated by fauno over 6 years ago
we discussed this idea to take advantage of existing arch mirrors but i never get to actually code it:
- we don't host packages from [core], [extra], [community], etc.
- we host cleaned up copies of core.db.tar.gz, etc.
- the webserver redirects 404s to a script that replies with redirections to download urls on arch mirrors
- you update core.db
- when you try to install gcc from download url https://repo.parabolagnulinux.org/core/os/i686/gcc-4.8.2-7-i686.pkg.tar.xz
- the server replies with https://some.arch.mirror/core/os/i686/gcc-4.8.2-7-i686.pkg.tar.xz
- pacman detects the redirection code and downloads the package from the arch mirror
since the repo databases are cleaned up there's no way to get a download url for unfree packages, but the script could check with the blacklist anyway.
otherwise look for "on demand mirroring" on the wiki :)
we were also discussing p2p caches with alfplayer yesterday!
Updated by mtjm almost 6 years ago
- Status changed from open to fixed
We have three current mirrors and two outdated mirrors for IPv4, two current IPv6 mirrors and one completely inaccessible mirror. We don't need more unless we get real data that more mirrors are needed and would help (they wouldn't if earlier mirrors in the mirrorlist get more traffic).