Project

General

Profile

Bug #2655

[iceweasel]: high cpu usage on 73

fauno - over 1 year ago - . Updated over 1 year ago.

Status:
not-a-bug
Priority:
bug
Assignee:
-
% Done:

0%


Description

Hi, I just upgraded to iceweasel 73 and it's using a lot of CPU (~140% in a 2 core machine) while doing nothing, with no more than 15 tabs open. It sometimes segfaults too but couldn't find a reason. I'll try to run with strace to see what's happening.

History

#1

Updated by fauno over 1 year ago

$ strace iceweasel 2>&1 | tee /tmp/iceweasel.log

$ cut -d "(" -f 1 /tmp/iceweasel.log | sort | uniq -c | sort -h | tail
   4703 madvise
   9848 mprotect
  12192 write
  12370 read
  12828 writev
  33242 futex
  70842 recvmsg
  72170 poll
  75526 gettimeofday
 477786 clock_gettime

i'm guessing it doesn't need to check the clock that many times :P

the lines are mostly like this:

clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {tv_sec=315404, tv_nsec=808093294}) = 0

i forgot to mention that when this happens tabs can't load any pages

#2

Updated by freemor over 1 year ago

My first suspicion would be misbehaving JS on one of the 15 tabs.

Can you take a look at:

about:preformance

about:memory

Next suspicion would ba an out of date extension or plug-in

#3

Updated by oaken-source over 1 year ago

can you reproduce this with addons disabled?

#4

Updated by fauno over 1 year ago

i was going to, but the problem was that nothing changed except for the upgrade, otherwise i wouldn't have reported it. anyway it's not happening today after several hours :/

#5

Updated by bill-auger over 1 year ago

i could not reproduce this on x86_64 - i watched the CPU closely
while the browser started for the first time, and loaded a few
tabs - im guessing this was something an add-on was doing

#6

Updated by fauno over 1 year ago

i started `iceweasel --safe-mode` and the high cpu was there again after a while, closing tabs doesn't stop it :/

#7

Updated by freemor over 1 year ago

Hmmm.. wanted to play along..

did: pacman -Sy iceweasel (because my system is busy so didn't want the full upgrade right now.

Loaded a bunch of tabs. Wrote this, Scrolled kitten feeds, watched cat videos.

CPU still at under 5%

I'll wait longer.. bit there must be something I'm doing different.

loaded more tabs, watched more vids, Still not seeing CPU creep, I'll keep waiting

#8

Updated by fauno over 1 year ago

could you run `strace iceweasel 2>&1 | tee /tmp/iceweasel.log` and check if the `clock_gettime` has something to do with this?

#9

Updated by fauno over 1 year ago

well, it keeps happening even in safe mode, i closed all tabs and even went to about:serviceworkers and unregistered everything -- cpu's still 140% and starts after a while with no manual action, i just left it open

#10

Updated by freemor over 1 year ago

I'll try the strace tomorrow when I have more time... this is form the same iceweasel as above... still less then 5% CPU usage..

Theres gotta be something different about my set-up I guess.

#11

Updated by freemor over 1 year ago

oops just realized that mine is running in a firejail so that could be a big part of the difference...

Let me launch one outside of the jail....

#12

Updated by freemor over 1 year ago

k, not in a firejail now but so fat the CPU usage still looks flat.. I'll let it cook for a bit more to be extra sure.

#13

Updated by freemor over 1 year ago

welll... lotsa scrolling, lotsa back and forth between the way too many tabs, videos watches, etc, etc,etc.

Still flat CPU usage. Will do the strace of a non-firejailed iceweasel first thing tomorrow.

#14

Updated by freemor over 1 year ago

running the same command you did on the strace produces:

   2776 stat
   3798 getpid
   5592 madvise
   6344 mprotect
  27153 write
  31585 read
  84106 writev
 133503 futex
 348895 poll
 363860 recvmsg

#15

Updated by bill-auger over 1 year ago

i did this with about 6 tabs running, one of them in a private
browsing session, and i played 30 minute video, with pulseaudio
running

   1427 mmap
   6204 madvise
   7266 stat
  15527 mprotect
  24154 write
  27861 writev
  99537 futex
 143584 read
 664083 poll
 784381 recvmsg
#16

Updated by fauno over 1 year ago

great, thanks! i remembered i changed some things in about:config a few days before upgrading so i undid them, but it happened again. then i made a new profile and even synced everything through firefox sync and both profiles have been working ok since this morning :/

#17

Updated by bill-auger over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from unconfirmed to not-a-bug

Also available in: Atom PDF