Packaging request #860
Prey (laptop tracker)
Prey is a program to track lost or stolen devices.
Bash front-end: https://github.com/prey/prey-bash-client
Both packages have been confirmed by the author to work with each other.
Updated by GNUtoo over 4 years ago
I'm not sure how useful is prey for you.
Could the following also work for you:
S tor You add an onion service for ssh
nano /etc/tor/torrc # <
nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config && systemctl start sshd # <- You enable sshd to listen only on the .onion address
- No NAT issues or workaround for such issues
- No (central) server required
- Secure (Authentification and encryption in the onion layer)
- Does not depend on the public DNS.
- The client only needs Tor, ssh, and something like torsocks connecting both together. It for instance could work on Android too.
- There is some time between when your laptop is online and when you can ssh into it.
- 0.5 to 1 second latency on ssh.
- You give ssh access into that laptop to another machine (might not be desirable).
You can workaround the huge latency with Ansible or scripts, however the ssh access requirement might not be an option for you.